Bowls was first played in Nettleham in 1935 on two rinks behind Larders grocery shop, now the co-op car park. The present club was formed on the 3rd February 1937. Where a general meeting set the annual subscription rate at 5/-.
In October 1937 the club moved to its present location on Sudbrooke Lane after agreeing to rent the land from Mrs S.A. Jubb for £5.00 per annum. and part of this land was sublet to the Tennis club at £1.15 per annum. At this time only two rinks were available and the green was cut with a hand mower, and it was not until 1946 that funds were found to purchase a motor mower.
In 1951 the green was doubled in size to four rinks with most of the work being done by Mr Pickwell the local farmer. A major crisis arose in September 1954 when Mrs Jubb died and the land had to be sold, some of the land was sold off as building plots leaving the Bowls and Tennis club to pay £150 each for their playing areas and the access road. The tennis club eventually moved to Bill Baileys playing field leaving the bowls club as sole owners of the Sudbrooke Lane site.
Until 1961 the only pavilion was an old railway carriage, but no record of how this was acquired is in existence. In 1969 a wartime prefab was purchased to be used as a pavilion and new toilets with a septic tank were built. The previous gent’s toilet consisted of a small wooden shed with a bucket inside and no provision appears to have been made for the ladies! At this time the club started to play in local leagues instead of just friendly matches.
By 1973 the green was becoming inadequate and it was decided to lay a new six rink green to English Bowling Association standards. This was completed in 1974 at a cost of £2078 the work being carried out by W.Hammond a local field contractor. The first wood was bowled by the present chairman Alf Firth. Alf was also the Chairman of the Nettleham Parish Council.
In 1980 further building was commenced with a new brick machinery store being completed, the design of which gave the capability of including a bar area, and this became reality in 1984.
The club relied on the knowledge and generosity of its members to expand its facilities but none more so than Stan Smith and John Lill. After twenty seven years the prefab pavilion was beginning to disintegrate and it was decided to build the present brick pavilion. Stan Smith prepared the plans and guided the club through all the building regulations whilst John Lill did the brickwork. Of course many other members were also involved.